Thursday, June 25, 2009

Over the Rainbow




As I sit outside the boys' Tiendita listening to "The Bamba" play inside, I listen to happy group members recounting their work days to each other:
-Dude, did you see me pounding that nail?!
-Yeah man, and I totally squared that roof.
-Awesome.
Framing day is my personal favorite as well. When we arrive, we have nothing more than a cement slab. But when we leave after a long day of nailing and sawing, we can already see the structure of a home. The excitement was not only mine and the group members'; it was evident in the face of the mother of our family as well as she witnessed the walls go up after much pounding. As I finish this post, the music coming from the Tiendita has grown stronger and changed to the much more American tune of "Somewhere over the Rainbow." I'm gonna follow that rainbow, in hopes of more beans and rice tomorrow, and another good work day.

No comments:

Post a Comment